Ohio law provides a fund to help victims of violent crime recover from financial losses. Through the fund, victims can be compensated for medical and counseling expenses, wage loss, replacement services, and funeral expenses. Victims may apply for up to $50,000 in reimbursement for out-of-pocket costs.
If you haven’t filed a claim, and each of the following statements is TRUE, then you may be eligible for help from this program:
- The crime was reported to law enforcement
- The victim cooperated with requests of law enforcement
- The victim was not committing a criminal act that caused or contributed to the injuries
- The victim has incurred expenses that are not fully covered by collateral sources (such as workers’ comp, life insurance, medical insurance, etc.)
- I am either the victim, the dependent of a homicide victim, or responsible for some of the victim’s expenses